Three Peaks, Gower


After my last weeks disappointment I decided to try a new group for today's walk. I'm getting surprisingly used to walking up to a group of strangers and introducing myself, a year ago when I started joining groups the idea used to make me shaky. Of course I still have my fingers crossed that they'll be friendly and there won't be any weirdos, but I've definitely gained in confidence. This group is focused on walking, which means no ambling.

Today's adventure was an expedition along North Gower - I'm definitely more familiar with the south, so this was a new area for me. My sat nav app behaved and took me to Cwm Ivy car park (only £1 for a days parking), and I met up with the group there.


The walk in the online program was different to the one we ended up doing, from what I gather the walk leader was changed at the last minute. The original walk was around Whitford Point, which is a walk I have booked in for the Gower Walking Festival, so it's probably for the best for me that it changed, though I might have been wary had I known that the new walk was the 'Gower Three Peaks.' The title would have made me question if it would be too challenging, but other than having to pause on a few of the steeper patches to catch my breath there was no problem. 

The weather today was glorious, we're having a mini heatwave, but there was enough of a breeze coming in off the sea to keep things from being a struggle. There was a bit of sea mist hazing the distance, but not enough to spoil the views. 

The first stop was the salt marsh, which I've never seen before and was completely unprepared for. It's an amazing landscape, the woods coming to a sudden abrupt stop, and the completely flat salt marsh stretching for miles. We scrambled up onto a rocky outcrop to make the best of the view and take a quick break for a snack. Lots of hawks and buzzards wheeling overhead.

Then it was onwards to Ryers Down, a bit steep but nothing overly challenging, with great views of the Lougher Estuary from the summit.


From there we were on to Hardings Down. I nearly lost a shoe in a particularly persistent bog, and I was once again impressed in just how waterproof my new boots really are. We dropped down to cross a small river, then back up a steep slope to reach the Hardings Down peak. Another well earned break here for lunch (mine may have given me food poisoning judging by how ill I was the following day, but that's another story).


Finally on to Llanmadoc Hill, passing a pub which I gazed at longingly. Quite a slow gentle ascent on this one, and the views from the top were spectacular, the full 360°; Worm's Head peaking out around the peninsula, Pembrey across the Lougher Estuary, and the series of high rolling hills stretching down the spine of the Gower.


I highly recommend this Gower Three Peaks walk, it's definitely worth it for the views. There are a few steep parts but requiring nothing more than the odd pause for a breather (and the chance to snap photos). The final distance came in at just under ten miles, with the only damage being a couple of patches of mild sunburn and slightly puffy feet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gower Walking Festival - Edgar Evans Rhossili

Gower Walking Festival - Castles of Gower

Briton Ferry