Upper and Lower Lliw Reservoirs



In all honestly I didn't much feel like going out today, and definitely would have ducked out of the later pub meal had I not already confirmed I'd go months ago - if something is booked I'm not going to be a flake. 


My sat nav took me on the most awkward route possible, it seems to have a love of sending me down country lanes with blind turns when a trip along the motorway would come out in exactly the same place. That's twice in a row it's done this to me, I'll have to check the settings to see if there is some option that needs tweaking - getting lost down one way lanes is guaranteed to make me stressed and frazzled when I arrive. I've never been to the Lliw Reservoirs before, so didn't have the slightest idea what I might be in for. I was pleasantly surprised, plenty of free parking, a cafe and toilets, and a paved path between reservoirs for anyone a bit too wary to go off piste. Having seen that the planned walk was only four miles on a paved path I foolishly decided to stay in my Docs rather than swapping to my hiking boots. I have blisters, so that's my lesson learnt. 




The Lower Reservoir is a bit disappointing at first, there are loads of trees lining the path, which makes everything lovely and leafy but means there aren't really any open views to take in the reservoir fully. I made the decision fairly early on to go at my own clip, since I can't bear slow ambling. A few other people had already struck out ahead, clearly having a similar opinion, but for a while I was between the two groups and essentially on my own. I don't walk alone generally, feeling I'll likely get bored and also being cautious (overly some would argue) about my safety. However, I was quite happy walking alone here, I found it very pleasant and peaceful, though I was perhaps bolstered by the knowledge I wasn't though really alone, and there were a group of sixteen people coming along behind. 


The path well maintained and wide enough for the odd vehicle to pass by. Next to it is a lovely little babbling brook, framed with tumbles of heather and gorse. 



The Upper Reservoir is definitely the highlight of the walk. Beautifully open and offering impressive views of the landscape. There's a bit of everything on this walk, lake (or reservoir), moorland, mountains, forest, streams... plenty of variety!



We scrambled up one of the hills alongside the reservoir, intending to walk along one of the small ridges, but it turned out to be a bit marshy so that idea had to be abandoned. Circling around the opposite direction looked a bit more promising, but we met the second half of the group coming the other way, and with the meal booked there wasn't really time for a lengthy exploration, so I'm unsure if it's possible to walk around the entire circumference of the reservoir. I suspect not, I think the path doubles back through the woods, there was a footpath map but it was a bit too sun-bleached (sun?!) to tell. 



Lots of wildlife to spot, I saw some unusual birds, and a few jumping fish. A highlight for me was what I found in one of the murky little puddle/ponds alongside the path. I've been lamenting my lack of tadpole sightings to anyone who'll listen, and then usually go on to bemoan the fact I've never seen a newt though I've always wanted to. Turns out the little ponds were teaming with both! I was thrilled. I was also on my own when I spotted them, so ended up walking along grinning to myself like a nutter. I tried to take a photo, but just kept getting reflections of the sky. Super pleased I've seen them though! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gower Walking Festival - Edgar Evans Rhossili

Gower Walking Festival - Castles of Gower